The digital PCR technology has emerged to be an integrative aspect of healthcare practices by providing most diagnostic laboratory tests equipped with infectious disease, oncology, and genetics. The massively parallel methods transcending digital PCR-based molecular diagnostics further enable absolute quantification through partitioning the reaction. In addition, the advantages of digital PCR over conventional PCR such as Real-Time PCR (RT-PCR) and its rising adoption is anticipated to grow further in the coming years."
The global digital PCR market is projected to reach $2,847.8 million by 2032 from $441.2 million in 2021, at a CAGR of 18.73% during the forecast period 2022-2032. The growth in the global digital PCR market is expected to be driven by factors such as the increasing prevalence of infectious and genetic diseases globally, the rising awareness of d-PCR-based diagnostic testing, and the significant number of funding for executing research and development.
Impact of COVID-19
The current global digital PCR market comprises kits and assays, system, and reagents and consumables. The unexpected crisis of the pandemic has surged the demand for essentials and increased the demand for digital PCR products. There was increased demand for digital PCR from biotechnology and life sciences companies. Overall, the impact of COVID-19 on the global d-PCR market size has been low-moderate. Some market players have reported a slight decline in sales. However, some new entrants in the global d-PCR market are expected to witness growth in the market. There is also a decline in revenues mostly due to the initial phases of the COVID-19 pandemic, which comprised complete lockdowns across countries and major cities, thereby interrupting the supply chain. Several other products have been under development for years that may take longer than 2-4 years for commercialization. The pandemic has played a key role in enhancing the growth prospects of digital PCR-based diagnostics and is expected to indirectly aid in improving the market growth outlook.
The BIS Research report on the global digital PCR market segments the market based on the following:
- Product (systems, kits and assays, reagents and consumables)
- Application (oncology, infectious disease, rare diseases, reproductive genetics, and other applications),
- End user (academic and research institutions, diagnostics centers, hospitals and clinics and biopharmaceutical companies)
- Region (North America, Europe, Asia-Pacific, Latin America, and Rest-of-the-World).
Recent Developments in the Global Digital PCR Market
• In March 2022, Stilla signed an agreement with 12 distributors throughout EMEA. This agreement grants distribution rights to Stilla's full product portfolio, including the six-color naica system.
• In April 2022, Stilla and Promega Corporation signed a co-marketing agreement to offer a complete digital PCR workflow solution to provide their end users with optimized workflow for a wide range of applications, including liquid biopsy, sentinel pathogen testing, infectious disease assay, overall cancer research, and drug discovery.
• In October 2021, Bio-Rad Laboratories, Inc. acquired Dropworks, Inc., a development stage company focused on developing a digital PCR product. The strategy was to increase and complement the company's life sciences product offerings.
• In September 2021, Thermo Fisher Scientific launched the Applied Biosystems QuantStudio Absolute Q Digital PCR System, the first fully integrated digital PCR (dPCR) system designed to provide highly accurate and consistent results.
Digital PCR Market Segmentation
Demand - Drivers and Limitations
Following are the demand drivers for the global digital PCR market:
• Technological Transformations Related to Digital PCR
• Rising Adoption of Digital PCR among Various Applications
• Increasing Activities in d-PCR Ecosystem
The market is expected to face some limitations too due to the following challenges:
• Higher Cost of Droplet Digital PCR
• Presence of Opaque Regulatory Framework
According to Nitish Kumar, Principal Analyst, BIS Research, "The digital PCR technology has emerged to be an integrative aspect of healthcare practices by providing most diagnostic laboratory tests equipped with infectious disease, oncology, and genetics. The massively parallel methods transcending digital PCR-based molecular diagnostics further enable absolute quantification through partitioning the reaction. In addition, the advantages of digital PCR over conventional PCR such as Real-Time PCR (RT-PCR) and its rising adoption is anticipated to grow further in the coming years."
Key Market Players and Competition Synopsis
The companies that are profiled have been selected based on inputs gathered from primary experts and analyzing company coverage, product portfolio, and market penetration.
Some prominent names established in this market are:
• Bio-Rad Laboratories, Inc.
• Fluidigm Corporation
• F. Hoffmann-La Roche Ltd.
• Merck KGaA
• QIAGEN N.V.
• Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc.
• Genetron Holdings Limited
• JN Medsys
• Naveris, Inc.
• SAGA Diagnostics
Key Questions Answered in the Report
- How is digital PCR revolutionizing the field of genomics?
- What are the major market drivers, challenges, and opportunities in the global digital PCR market?
- What are the underlying structures resulting in the emerging trends within the global digital PCR market?
- How did the COVID-19 pandemic impact the global digital PCR market?
- What are the key development strategies that are being implemented by the major players in order to sustain themselves in the competitive market?
- What are the key regulatory implications in developed and developing regions pertaining to the use of digital PCR?
- What are the potential entry barriers that are expected to be faced by the companies willing to enter a particular region?
- How is each segment of the market expected to grow during the forecast period 2022-2032, and what is the anticipated revenue to be generated by each of the segments?
BIS Related Studies