Two main components of MetaMask are a mobile wallet and a web browser extension. The role of MetaMask wallet is to store Ethereum-compatible tokens and that of the web browser is interaction with dApps and smart contracts. In this blog, we are going to provide you with an in detail description of MetaMask wallet extension and its usage.
Some of the prominent features of MetaMask are as follows:
- Easy to use: To get initiated to MetaMask is a really simple process. No email address is needed for the same. All you got to do is set up a strong password and very safely store the secret recovery phrase.
- Security: As MetaMask wallet comes in the form of MetaMask extension, all your information is encrypted in the browser and no one has access to it. If you forget your password, you can make use of the secret recovery phrase to set a new password and regain access to the wallet. But the point to be noted here is that you should never lose your secret recovery phrase as it is the last and only doorway to regain access to your wallet and even MetaMask cannot help you if you lose it.
- Backup and Restore: MetaMask extension keeps local storage of your data. So in case you change your browser or device, you will be able to restore your wallet with the help of your secret recovery phrase.
Getting started with MetaMask
The steps for the same are as follows:
- Initially, you will have to download and install the MetaMask extension for your respective browser.
- Click on the button named Get started to begin creating your MetaMask wallet.
- Now you will have to tap on Create a wallet.
- Click on I agree.
- In this step, you will have to create a very strong unique password by making a combination of capital letters, small letters, symbols, and numbers.
- Now your 12-word secret recovery phrase will be displayed and you have to store this very carefully.
- Confirm your secret recovery phrase by writing it in the correct order.
- This is the final step. Just tap on All done and you are done with the process.
Now you can view all your assets under the tab named assets and the history of your transactions can be viewed in the tab named Activity.
Advantages of using MetaMask
- It is used so commonly that only one plugin is needed by the user to gain access to a vast range of dApps.
- The automatic signing of transactions takes place and for that, you just need to remember a few words. This means, there is no need to manage private keys now.
- There is no need to download the whole blockchain when using MetaMask extension. So a lot of space in your will be saved this way.
We have made a decent effort to brief you with all the relevant information that you need to have to get started with MetaMask wallet extension, its features, and usage. We hope you will make the best use of this blog and get benefitted from it.